Generationgreen.co.uk is brought to you by British Gas, which is owned by Centrica plc. Centrica plc and its subsidiary companies believe it is important to protect your privacy, and so we are committed to giving you a personalised service that meets your needs in a way that also protects that privacy.
This policy explains how we may collect information about you and then use it to meet your needs. It also explains some of the security measures we take to protect your privacy, and tells you certain things we will not do.
1. Collecting information
We may collect personal information about you from a number of sources, including the following:
- From you when you agree to take a service or product from us.
- From you when you contact us with an enquiry or in response to a communication from us, in which case this may tell us something about how you use our services.
- From documents that are available to the public, such as the electoral register.
Please note that some of the personal information we hold about you may be 'sensitive personal data' within the meaning of the Data Protection Act 1998 - for example, information about your health or ethnic origin.
2. Using information
Information you provide or we hold about you (whether or not under our contract or contracts with you) may be used by us or our agents to:
- identify you when you contact us
- help identify accounts, services and products which you could have from us from time to time;
- help run, and contact you about the improved running of, any accounts, services and products we have provided before, or provide now or in the future; (we may contact you by e-mail or text message if you have given us these contact details);
- create statistical and testing information and carry out marketing analysis and profiling;
- help to prevent and detect fraud or loss; and
- contact you in any way (including mail, e-mail, phone, visit, text or multimedia messages) about products and services offered by us and selected partners.
We may allow other people and organisations to use information we hold about you:
- to provide services you have asked for;
- as part of the process of selling one or more of our businesses;
- if we have been asked to provide information for legal or regulatory purposes; or
- as part of current or future legal proceedings.
From time to time, these other people and organisations may be outside the European Economic Area in countries that do not have the same standards of protection for personal information as the UK.
We may also allow your information to be used by other Centrica Group companies (including those using the British Gas, Scottish Gas and Dyno Group brands) for them to carry out any of the above purposes.
Your information may be used for training purposes. We may also monitor and record communications with you (including phone conversations and e-mails) for quality assurance and to make sure that we are meeting our legal and regulatory requirements.
If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm you have given them the information set out in this document, and that they have given permission for their personal information to be used in the way we have described.
3. Protecting information
We have strict security measures to protect personal information. This includes following certain procedures (for example, checking your identity when you phone us) and encrypting (encoding) data on our websites.
4. The internet
If you communicate with us using the internet, we may occasionally e-mail you about our services and products. When you first give us personal information through our website, we will normally give you the opportunity to say whether you would prefer us not to contact you by e-mail. However, you can always send us an e-mail (at the address set out below) at any time if you change your mind.
Please remember that communications over the Internet, such as e-mails and webmails (messages sent through a website), are not secure unless they have been encrypted. Your communications may go through a number of countries before they are delivered - this is the nature of the Internet. We cannot accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control.
We may use 'cookies' to monitor how people use our site. This helps us to understand how our customers and potential customers use our website so we can develop and improve the design, layout and function of the sites. A cookie is a piece of information that is stored on your computer's hard drive which records how you have used a website. This means that when you go back to that website, it can give you tailored options based on the information it has stored about your last visit. You can normally alter the settings of your browser to prevent it from accepting cookies.
You can find information on disabling cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org.
6. Further information
We may amend this policy from time to time, in which case we will publish the amended version on our website, and you can ask us for a copy by writing to the above address or by e-mailing us at CentricaDataProtection@centrica.com.